South African Weather Service (SAWS):Scientist Global Atmosphere Watch (GAW)
The South African Weather Service (SAWS) is a Section 3(a) public entity under the Ministry of
Environmental Affairs and is governed by a Board. The organisation is an authoritative voice for
weather and climate-related services in South Africa and is a member of the World Meteorological
Organization (WMO) to fulfil a range of international obligations of the government. South African
Weather Service (SAWS) strives to be a Weather and Climate Centre of Excellence providing innovative
solutions to ensure a weather-smart region, sustainable development and economic growth. The
South African Weather Service (SAWS) is therefore seeking to appoint an efficient and enthusiastic
person to undertake the role of: Scientist
Global Atmosphere Watch (GAW)
Department: Research and Development
Salary: Total package negotiable – Level 8
Centre: Cape Town
READ : x7 Vacancies at the South African Weather Service (SAWS)
Job Summary: Scientist
The Scientist: Global Atmosphere Watch (GAW) will be responsible for various trace gas research
activities and assisting the Senior Scientist GAW in this regard. A special focus will be on data quality
and QA/QC procedures according to WMO GAW protocols. The Scientist will participate in research,
scientific, operational and administrative activities within his/her section. The suitable candidate
should have at least university-level project experience in weather-climate sciences, and atmospheric
/ air pollution aspects of remote sensing and possess good communication skills necessary to
contribute to the advancement of the SAWS GAW mandate.
Key Performance Areas:
As a Scientist: GAW within the Research and Development Department of SAWS, the incumbent will
be responsible for:
- Conduct research and innovation under the guidance of the senior scientist, to ensure
sustained and continuous long-term systematic monitoring and processing/evaluation of
atmospheric chemistry data within the GAW programme, towards the support of the SAWS
operations and services, in order to meet the SAWS strategic goals and obligations
- Participate in the research, development, installation, upgrading or maintenance of the
scientific instruments/systems relevant to atmospheric chemistry monitoring and research at
the Cape Point GAW station.
- Participate in research programmes, projects or activities related to Greenhouse Gas (GHG)
- Assist the senior scientist in GHG data analysis, calibrations and verification as well as
maintenance of data sets.
- Participate in the support of all relevant GHG products and systems.
- Support senior scientist any new projects undertaken, both in cooperation with other SAWS
divisions and sections and well as with external institutions.
- Keep abreast of latest GHG measurement technology, methods and techniques so as to
improve overall productivity and service delivery.
- Assist senior scientists to publish and present research findings to others on a national and
- Participate in enhancing and building the national/international positioning of SAWS through
scientific collaboration and engagement (presentations, meetings, workshops, etc.)
- Support senior scientists to foster strategic partnerships and collaborations with stakeholders,
- Support and attend to ad-hoc Supply Chain Management requests.
- Keep administrative processes up to date (Research Management Framework, monthly
- Participate in all activities related to the implementation and/or maintenance of the SAWS
SHEQ system, ensuring quality output and customer satisfaction
- Support and attend to adhoc administrative requests.
- Ensure and contribute to the GAW unit SHE Quality requirements of SAWS.
- Working knowledge of troubleshooting technical instrumentation (including IT related issues).
Minimum Requirements and Attributes:
- An appropriate Honours degree in the Atmospheric Sciences/ Meteorology/ Environmental
/Chemical and Biological sciences
- University level research project experience.
- Knowledge and research experience in the field of Atmospheric Sciences/ Meteorology/
- Environmental Sciences will serve as an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience in the operation of analytical equipment
- Ability to meet project and administrative deadlines
- The ability to work in a team as well as individually
- Ability to work with MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint
- Willingness to undertake further study e.g. MSc / PhD
- Valid Code 08 drivers licence
- Knowledge of programming/coding in any language such as Matlab, R, Python, SQL will be an
Register as user on our website using this link: https://www.weathersa.co.za/home/vacancies to apply
for the above position and upload your (Comprehensive CV with certified copies of qualifications).
Enquiries for the above-mentioned positions must be directed to Ms Thembisa Bixa, at Tel. (012)
Closing Date: 15 September 2023
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. Candidates who have
not been contacted within 3 months after the closing date of this advertisement,
please accept your application was unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right
not to fill this position. South African Weather Service is an equal opportunity employer.
Record Reference HCM-ADVERT-SCIENTIST-RES-GAW