Senior Economist: Multilateral Development Banks
- 1 permanent position(s) available in the Pretoria
- Salary Level: 12
- Salary: R958,824.00 – R1,125,825.00 per annum (All-Incl.)
- Reference No: S086/2023
Purpose of the Role
To support South Africa’s relationship and work-programme with Multilateral Development Banks and develop policy recommendations on issues related to the International Development Finance Architecture.
- A Grade 12 is required coupled with a minimum National Diploma (equivalent to NQF level 6) or Bachelor’s degree (equivalent to NQF level 7) Economics or Political Science;
- A minimum 4 years’ experience of which 2 years should be at an Assistant director level or equivalent obtained within a development institution or financial environment;
- Knowledge of policy analysis and formulation of drafting notes for utilisation;
- Knowledge and experience in benchmarking and research with recognized international institutions; and
- Knowledge and experience obtained on a diplomatic level
Key Performance Areas
Policy Analysis and Development:
- Review, analyse, and comment on documents considered by the Boards of the African Development Bank and the World Bank, that are of interest to South Africa and that focus on Africa’s developments;
- Assist with the development of recommendations on policy issues for consideration amongst Development Finance stakeholders; and
- Identify and analyse key policy objectives in the policy deliberations of the Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), for the formulation of National Treasury positions.
Development of Finance Policy:
- Support the content and logistical preparations for South Africa’s participation at the statutory meetings of the World Bank, the African Development Bank and the Commonwealth;
- Facilitate negotiations and monitor country engagement strategies of the African Development Bank and the World Bank; and
- Facilitate the acceptance of development finance from the African Development Bank and the World Bank, by liaising with internal stakeholders, National Departments, and State-Owned Enterprises, by participating in loan, grant and technical assistance negotiations and prepare progress reports on the implementation of programmes and projects.
- Assist in managing the African Development Bank and World Bank programmes and projects in South Africa in consultation with the Banks’ resident country offices and key stakeholders, Assist in managing the relationship with South Africa’s Constituency Offices at the African Development Bank and World Bank; and
- Negotiate the allocation and approval of budgets within the National Treasury and manage the transfers of South Africa’s subscription contributions to the African Development Bank and the World Bank.
Benchmarking and Research:
- Initiate research and benchmarking of policy issues under consideration at the African Development Bank and the World Bank;
- Consult clients and stakeholders on trends and changes pertaining to the policy environment that impact development finance and global developmental progress in South Africa; and
- Support research on key policy issues to inform country positions in MDBs platforms and contribute to knowledge sharing of development finance developmental ideas and potential impact on South Africa.
Closing Date: 11 September 2023 APPLY NOW