- 1 ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER – BABETTE TAUTE
- 2 ABOUT THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
- 3 MORE ABOUT THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
- 4 ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
- 5 HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
- 6 CLOSING DATE FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
- 7 CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER – BABETTE TAUTE
The Babette Taute Honours Scholarship was formed after Babette Taute passed away in 1992. The scholarship is administered by Sanlam, and was made possible by the late Babette Taute who left majority of her estate to form a bursary trust, for students pursuing English studies in South Africa.
ABOUT THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Babette Taute Trust is inviting students to apply for the Babette Taute Honours Scholarship, for the 2024 academic year.
Scholarships will be awarded for Honours studies, in any branch of English language and literature study, including applied language studies.
Every year, scholarships are awarded for postgraduate English studies in South Africa. Candidates will be selected based on academic merit, as well as other forms of merit: leadership in cultural or social areas, quality of publications and writing, and excellence as a translator or English teacher.
MORE ABOUT THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The scholarship will provide up to R75 000 worth of funding, towards a 1 year Honours programme.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application, in early January 2024.
Successful candidates will be required to submit their 2023 mid-year and final results, as well as a short cover letter detailing your progress and plans.
www.zabursaries.co.za is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the Babette Taute Scholarship.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or have permanent residence status in South Africa
- You must be studying full time towards an Honours degree, in a branch of English language, literature and applied language studies
- You must be studying at a recognised and accredited university in South Africa
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must NOT have any other bursary awards over the total value of R120 000 (you may have other bursary funding if it is under this value)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
Download and complete the Babette Taute Scholarship Application Form 2024 (.pdf)
Enter “www.zabursaries.co.za” in the field asking how you heard about the Babette Taute Scholarship.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- South African ID or proof of permanent residence in South Africa (certified copy)
- Curriculum Vitae, including academic and other achievements and activities over the last 2 to 3 years (maximum 2 pages)
- A piece of your writing, in any genre, that showcases your talents (maximum 500 words)
- Brief outline of Honours course which you intend registering in 2024 and how it complies with the The Babette Taute Scholarship’s focus on English (maximum 100 words)
- Details of any other bursary, scholarship or fellowship applied for, for the 2024 academic year (name of funding source and amount)
- Full university academic record/ transcripts to date (on university letterhead or certified copy)
- Proof that you should be awarded the scholarship (this can include proof of merit awards/ proof of your excellence as a teacher, translator, interpreter, scriptwriter or other language practitioner)
- Contact details of 2 academic referees, who can vouch for you as an English student (see application form for further details)
- Final results (to be submitted by no later than 15 December 2023)
- Final results for English, endorsed by the Head of Department or Course Convenor or Head of Department (notify the application email below if these results are not available)
Applications must be submitted via email to these 2 email addresses: Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za AND Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za
(Insert the words “Babette Taute 2024 Application: (Surname of Author)” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
17 November 2023.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Sanlam directly:
Contact person 1: Naaznien Parker (Email: Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za)
Contact person 2: Helene Schneid (Email: Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za)
If submitting a query, please insert the following in your email subject line: “Babette Taute 2024 Query: (Surname of Author)”